(I know it’s a cliche but you gotta buy into the Hawaiian spirit to get in the full holiday flow :). Checked out the wod for tomorrow and it looks like a good one – simple yet heavy and sure to be tough from the get-go!
It’s another AMRAP – this time made up of “two movements” – a squat clean and a shoulder to overhead. Even though you’ll be combining the two movements into one, each part counts as one rep… so completing both the squat clean and shoulder to overhead gets you 2 reps.
If you want a full technical rundown of the movement standards, look here.
In general though, there are a few key things to remember:
- For the squat portion, the crease of the hip must be below the top of the knee – make it easy for your judge (and yourself!) by hitting clear depth each time.
- You can get the weight overhead any way you like (split jerk, push jerk, push press, press, thruster). Keep in mind as you fatigue, the jerk variations are usually the most efficient at getting you under the bar.
- If you split jerk, you must bring your feet back together under your hips before lowering the weight from the locked out position.
- All reps must finish clearly locked out and controlled overhead before being lowered or dropped. For judging purposes, this may require you to hold the bar overhead longer than you do usually – just don’t be that person who lowers it too soon and misses a rep because of it!
- You ARE allowed to power clean and then front squat to complete the squat clean.
Good luck gang, remember – every rep counts. Chalk up your bar, dig in, and take your best shot… this is the CrossFit Games after all!
Please post to the c omments if you will be coming out tonight at 6:30pm to crush WOD #3! I want to get an idea of who is coming so I can organize some heats. Please remember that this time slot is only open to those competing in the CrossFit Open.
I will also work on getting the live feed set up for those of you that would like to watch from home 🙂
Watch us online NOW! http://www.ustream.tv/channel/crossfit-open
Buy-in: 3 rounds of – 50 skips, 10 situps, 10 kettlebell swings
5 rounds of – 1 deadlift, 1 hang power clean, 1 front squat, 1 push jerk. Work your way up slowly to WOD weight
WOD: Sectionals 11.3 – Squat Clean and Jerk AMRAP
5 minutes for max rounds and reps of:
- Squat clean and jerk (floor to overhead) with 110/165
- Count rounds of complete squat clean and jerks
- Each clean is worth 1 rep, each jerk is worth 1 as well
- You MUST complete the jerk portion of the lift before trying another clean
Zone 4 – scale weight to 95/135
Zone 3 – scale weight to 75/115
Zone 2 – scale weight as needed
Zone 1 – scale as needed
Cash-Out: Partner row – 3 x 400m @ 80% effort each – work on smoothness of technique. One partner goes while the other is resting.