We’ve seen some of the awesome skills of a couple of original female crossfitters, so it’s time to take a look at what some of the boys can do. In this video, Adrian Bozman (CF HQ trainer) and Kelly Starrett (Mobility WOD guy and owner of CF SanFran) demonstrate some amazing flexibility and stability with weight overhead.
Check out the video: http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_CFSFPlaysOHStrength.wmv
The demos themselves are outstanding but it is important to note what athletic qualities allow these two guys to perform these movements. Firstly, a high degree of general strength through not only the shoulders and upper back but all the way down to the feet in the big and small muscles of the body. Another huge contributor is the fact that both of these guys are incredibly mobile – they have high levels of mobility through their bodies and aren’t bound up by tight hips and shoulders. Most people are so restricted in their movement patterns that a close-grip overhead squat is impossible to perform, let alone a pistol squat with the same grip!
Many times strength is not lacking in people who train regularly but mobility is a big limiting factor. Moving forward through the summer we’ll be placing a much higher emphasis on developing better mobility for efficiency in both daily life and exercise.
Don¹t forget the mental training seminar with Christie Gialloreto, M.Sc.,
C.C.C.-the Regionals showed how important it is to have that part of your game
sharp. 730 pm, Wednesday, June 1st (the canucks will have put it away long
before that). Cost is $15. See you all there!
Buy-in: Sumo Deadlift – 5 x 5
- work up slowly to a heavy (but not max weight) 5 reps
- tight arch in lower back, drive the knees wide while pushing through the heels
- chest up, shins vertical
This wod is not for time but rather focuses on the development of technical skill and specific strength in several gymnastics moves. Take your time and work quality as opposed to quantity.
Over the course of 30-40 minutes, work through the following stations – switching as needed:
- Wall walk/HSPU/Handstands – accumulate 20-30 reps of hspu scaled as needed or 2-3 minutes of wall walk and handstand practice. Use a spotter for safety.
- Parallette L Sits and Tuck Holds – accumulate 2-3 minutes of various holds
- Pistol Squats – 20-30 reps per leg, scaled as needed
- Ring Dip/Ring Support/Muscle up – accumulate 20-30 reps or 2-3 minutes of various supports
Coach will demo and provide options for skill development
Cash-Out: Easy block run as a group